The Red Queen
May 1470

Soundtrack: Josquin des Prez[1] – Missa l’Homme Armé Sexti Toni – Kyrie Eleison

*interior* *Chateau d’Angers* *there is a man and a woman arguing*
Woman: not if Jesus Christ Himself insisted I meet with him.
Man: what do you think he will do if you do not?
Woman: likely? Fail. Again. He had that Yorkist bastard captive. Prisoner, in his castle. And he let him walk out because he couldn’t keep him there. Your Majesty is insane for even entertaining the idea that this…this…canaille is worth listening to.
Man: even if the man is willing to put his sword at your service, Marguerite?
Marguerite: a sword at my service and a knife in my back! He has betrayed Henry, he has betrayed Edward, why would anyone be foolish enough to trust in his loyalty now, Louis?
Louis XI: *folds hands over his hat in his lap* quite simply…you don’t.
Marguerite: *looks aghast*
Louis XI: I don’t expect the duke of Burgundy to keep his word that we agreed at Péronne. And he didn’t expect me to keep it-
Marguerite: yet you do.
Louis XI: to all things, there is a season, and to every purpose, a time. My informants in Burgundy tell me the duchess is pregnant.
Marguerite: what is it to me?
Louis XI: if the duchess’ child is a boy, then no doubt, the duke will marry his daughter to your nephew[2].
Marguerite: and if she whelps a girl? That seems to be all the Yorks are capable of! The duchess of Exeter only had a girl. Edward only has girls. Warwick’s daughter gave birth to a dead girl when she landed at Calais.
Louis XI: if it is a girl, Charles remains where he is. If it is a boy, then the Yorkists alliance with Burgundy will be cemented and I will have[3] to act.
Marguerite: and my son and I are mere pawns in your chessgame.
Louis XI: hardly. If the duchess’ child is a daughter I will endorse your son as bridegroom[4] for Marie-
Marguerite: *scoffs* in Burgundy?
Louis XI: *sincerely* in Burgundy.
Marguerite: *smirks at him*
Louis XI: that amuses you?
Marguerite: just that you’ve clearly missed a trick, you old fox.
Louis XI: *makes as though just realizing* oh…you mean Edward’s offer to marry your son to his eldest daughter?
Marguerite: all I have to do is wait. The house of York is set against one another already. That fanciful flourish of a…woman…that Edward has is already past her prime. Even if she produces a son, there’s no guarantee that he will live. So why should I meet with an ungrateful traitor if all I have to do is sit and wait?
Louis XI: and what happens if she produces a son who lives? Or she dies in childbirth and Edward remarries?
Marguerite: no doubt you will have his head spinning with French brides in that event.
Louis XI: *smiles as though to say “of course”* I am the king of France, Marguerite. Not the king of England. My father fought them but I will bribe them with wine and paté.
Marguerite: *resignedly* you old fox you.
Louis XI: the comte de Warwick is waiting in the chapel for you.

*fade to black*

[1] While Josquin’s record is “spotty”, there is proof that by 1477 (at least) he was in the choir of René d’Anjou, King of Naples. The Kyrie literally translates as “Lord have mercy”, while the Mass it comes from is based on the tune “L’Homme Armé” (The Armed Man)
[2] Nicolas d’Anjou
[3] Louis XI agreed – by Péronne – to not oppose the Anglo-Burgundian alliance so long as it didn’t threaten French interests
[4] Louis was willing to back Federigo of Naples against Nicolas, so it would be in line with his strategy

OK, this is interesting already.
I'm sure this is going to be an exciting journey!
Very nice, looking forward to more (also i like the conversational format)

I figure we all know what went down between Marguerite d'Anjou and Warwick at Angers in May 1470 (her keeping him on his knees for three hours, that they finally came to an understanding blah-blah). This is more where we see Louis pointing out to her that she refuses to hear Warwick out because his promises are worth nothing, but she is willing to accept Edward IV's word? Then he none too subtly reminds her that he'll only support her so long as he doesnt have an alternative (like Liz Wydeville conveniently dying in childbirth).

Let's face it, Marguerite always strikes me as one of those women who wouldn't take a step she didn't want to. So Louis has to get "creative".

Is it weird that one of the thing I look forward to the most is seeing what kind of music from the period you use for each update?

Also, interesting start! Margaret of York having kids is always intriguing

Is it weird that one of the thing I look forward to the most is seeing what kind of music from the period you use for each update?
It's probably gonna be more varied than in Frankie given how most of the music of the day isn't dated (and printing music proper only started in the first decade of the 16th century)
Also, interesting start! Margaret of York having kids is always intriguing
To be honest, I think Louis XI is more scared of her than her husband.

Oooh this will be good
I hope so

I really hope Margaret of York has a healthy bouncing baby boy! *waves Valois-Burgundian flag with pride*
If you've seen my trees, you need not hope in vain. I can't promise that this will go exactly like the trees (where would the fun be in that, after all?) but there are certain things that won't change.

I am so happy to see this TL starting again…
Credit goes to you for suggesting it.

If you've seen my trees, you need not hope in vain. I can't promise that this will go exactly like the trees (where would the fun be in that, after all?) but there are certain things that won't change.
I tried to read those, but I couldn't make heads or tails from it, it got too massive and I nearly got a headache from trying to decode it. Sorry.

Last edited:
images - 2023-08-21T102527.864.jpeg