Maid of Norway, Queen of Scotland: A Plantagenet Britain Timeline

So close! Can’t wait to see them reunited! They were kids last time they saw eachother so it’ll definitely be a shock when they now meet to get married!

And why can Margaret not take the reins of government now?

Poor Constance and Henry not getting to see their brother for even longer :(

Aaaah I need the reunion!

She's underage. The age of majority in England and Scotland is 21.
That depends on whether the king/queen assert their authority much earlier. No one questioned Edward III’s right to rule for example when he overthrew the regents and seized power at the age of 17.That said, I don’t think the age of majority in England was 21. Henry VI was declared of age at the age of 16 and formally assumed power.

That depends on whether the king/queen assert their authority much earlier. No one questioned Edward III’s right to rule for example when he overthrew the regents and seized power at the age of 17.That said, I don’t think the age of majority in England was 21. Henry VI was declared of age at the age of 16 and formally assumed power.
Edmund Fitzalan couldn't take control of his inheritance when his father died even though he was already 18.

It’s actually 14 for married women, 16 for single women, and 21 for males, so Margaret is already of age. Time to kick out the regents.
That's for England. In Scotland it was 21 for men and 18 for women I think (the book I could look it up in is packed away during redecorating). However, the Guardians (the official title of the regents in Scotland) could declare Margaret to be of age earlier (I think it only needed a majority of the Guardians to agree this, not all of them). Various monarchs in Scottish history were declared of age earlier after coming to the throne as infants/children so I think having Margaret declared of age now is plausible.

That's for England. In Scotland it was 21 for men and 18 for women I think (the book I could look it up in is packed away during redecorating). However, the Guardians (the official title of the regents in Scotland) could declare Margaret to be of age earlier (I think it only needed a majority of the Guardians to agree this, not all of them). Various monarchs in Scottish history were declared of age earlier after coming to the throne as infants/children so I think having Margaret declared of age now is plausible.
It’s actually 14 for married women, 16 for single women, and 21 for males, so Margaret is already of age. Time to kick out the regents.
Hahaha that's so funny, I definitely haven't written numerous chapters that talk about Margaret only coming of age when she's 21 and posted them on Patreon already.

Chapter XXXVII - Little Brother
May 1299. Kings Langley Palace, England.

The entire family stood together, even the little children, at the steps of King Edward’s residence. The King, the uncrowned queen, her sisters Mary and Elizabeth, herself and her children. Seven-year-old Constance, the five-year-old Earl of Kent and little Lady Catherine, just two, holding the hand of her newest governess, Isabella Beauchamp. The only one missing was Margaret, married to the Duke of Brabant and living on the continent, but no one had truly thought of Margaret in quite a long time.

Joan looked at her little brother as he stepped before her. Even though he was twelve years younger than her, Édouard was taller and she had to tilt her chin up to look at him. The boy that had left for France had returned as a man, with broad shoulders and strong arms. Joan knew that her brother enjoyed trivial pursuits of swimming and rowing with his friend, Piers Gaveston, but she had not imagined it would have such an effect on him.

“Sister,” Édouard murmured. Joan offered him her hand and he bowed down to kiss it, rising again after a moment of silent respect. When he looked at her again, Joan smiled. “I hope you will miss me dearly and remember me in your prayers.”

“I pray for your every moment, dear brother,” she said and it was true. Édouard was her little brother, the last child that her mother produced before her courses ended. Why should she not pray for him and for his success as king, both in England and Scotland? It was ridiculous. “Please, don’t ever forget to treat your lady wife with respect. She is a queen already, after all.” Édouard laughed.

“I’ll miss you, Joan,” he whispered. “More than I missed you in France.” Joan smiled.

“I will come and visit you when you have your first child,” she promised.

Father had been talking of arranging a marriage for her with the Count of Savoy, but Joan convinced him to use her half-sister Catherine for the alliance instead. Count Amadeus had a son named Edward that was only two years younger than her namesake brother and he could wait another decade and a half for her to grow. There was no need for a marriage that would not even bring the blood of her father directly to the comital throne.

“Thank you,” Édouard murmured. He took her hand again and kissed it. “I’ll be waiting for you, sister.”

Joan smiled. He walked to the sister beside her, Mary, and embraced her. They exchanged whispered words, a secret promise between them. She watched her little brother as he moved down the line, saying his goodbyes and felt her heart stutter inside her chest.

Nearly nine years had passed since their mother died. Édouard had grown from a scared little boy to now a king, riding to meet his wife. Joan and her sisters cared for him. All of them, in their own way. They were all older than him, all of them that mattered and he was their little brother. The baby of the family. The corners of her mouth curled up. They cared for him and kept him safe until the day he was called to do his duty to England, and to Scotland.

Their mother would be proud.

Izzy! that was SO sweet! Joan is such a good big sister.

Let's hope that Edouard ineed makes her, the rest of his sisters and Eleanor proud

Great chapter, nice to see almost all the family around for Edouard's marriage. Let's hope Margaret has grown as well, for the better. Keep up the good work