I'm surprised you didn't remove that, seeing as it would be an easy way to lower the cost. But yeah, the CPU change alone should make it a lot better, even though the devs still have to deal with 2 GPUs.
Honestly, I've always felt that the real problem with otl's Saturn's hardware is that they didn't make simple enough developers tools for the third party studios. It was expected for everyone to figure it out on their own or later as the money rolled in.

Also, has anyone here watched Sega Lord X's Let's save Sega consoles series?
The Dual VDP(i wouldn't call them GPU, a GPU is more general, imagine like the missing link of the SNES enchanted chips and a proper GPU) did was a good feature but the main issue was the dual CPU was a mess and didn't atone the main problem of saturn..the lack a real sum/vector multiplier

Hm, I've only specified that its CPU is a customized NEC processor, similar to the early chips in the V850 series. It clocks at around 28 MHz. That puts it short of the PS1 in terms of core processing, but it makes up for the difference in some of its other components. It's comparable in terms of RAM and VRAM to its OTL counterpart, and of course has the capability of extending RAM through its cartridge slot. It has its own built-in system memory, just like the OTL Saturn, not requiring memory cards as the PS1 and N64 did. Broadly speaking, it's comparable in its capabilities to the OTL Saturn, just based on a single CPU architecture instead of a dual one.

Apologies for not offering more numbers, I lack a foundation in electronics hardware and didn't want to step outside my wheelhouse. :)
Technically you could buy Memory cartridges to save games on the cartridge slot, but for me..i would have removed the internal memory and use memory cards..far cheaper

I'm interested to see how Nintendo handles an actually successful Saturn (and how Sega follows up the Saturn... does the Dreamcast ever happen? I could see it being a weird 6.5 generation console depending on how Sega handles the Saturn and updating it with accessories). Perhaps the 64DD actually gets support in some way (maybe using CDs or some other kind of optical disk rather than a proprietary floppy), and I could also see the Wide Boy or some kind of backwards compatible cartridge getting some kind of commercial release. I could even see a design for a bottom-attached accessory which boosts the processing power of the N64, basically a giant Expansion Pak that transforms it into a fifth and a half gen system that could last until the early 2000's. In any case, 2002 to 2003, I think, would be the lifespan before the advent of a GameCube equivalent, and even then it could get some support further on if proper care is given.

The idea of a Nintendo Tower of Power is blursed as hell.

Last edited:
I mean the Dreamcast, it could be released halfway in the 6th generation (like how the Switch was released in the "middle" of the 7th generation)
I think you misunderstood how a generation works, If anything a more successful Saturn means ittl DC would be 2000, like otl ps2

I think you misunderstood how a generation works, If anything a more successful Saturn means ittl DC would be 2000, like otl ps2
I probably am, I just don't see why Sega would release the Saturn in 1995, it becomes really successful, and only 5 years later they follow it up with ITTL's Dreamcast. I think it could come in 2001/2002-ish, depending on a whole lot of factors. If Sony's out of the race/not really in a position to do what the PS2 was OTL (maybe this becomes ITTL's Xbox and the PS3 is much more successful, who knows!), and Nintendo's not really in a position by 2000 to release the next-gen console (that'd be 4-4.5 years of the N64, even OTL it got 5.5 years and that was with Sony breathing down the Big N's neck), Sega can take a bit more time to further refine the next generation's hardware and software.

Saturn in 1995, it becomes really successful, and only 5 years later they follow it up with ITTL's Dreamcast. I
6, Saturn was 1994 in Japan and even for japanese 6 years seems the standard (only NES was seven) and that's the most important market, so that's how generations works,even otl SEGA hold too much on Genesis did ended up being a ruin

6, Saturn was 1994 in Japan and even for japanese 6 years seems the standard (only NES was seven) and that's the most important market, so that's how generations works,even otl SEGA hold too much on Genesis did ended up being a ruin
Ah I completely forgot that it was released in Summer 1994 in Japan. I do think now that it could release for late 2000/early 2001 but I could also see them aiming for the 6/7 year anniversary of the Saturn's launch depending on things (so Summer 2000-Summer 2001).

Ah I completely forgot that it was released in Summer 1994 in Japan. I do think now that it could release for late 2000/early 2001 but I could also see them aiming for the 6/7 year anniversary of the Saturn's launch depending on things (so Summer 2000-Summer 2001).
EVEN sony knew PS1 was OLD when was still selling well..and a console take two years to make(now more but back them), meaning since 1998 they knew the successor, unlike saturn that ended up being sega undoing, regardless i think ITTL DC will be 2000 Worldwide, especially as nothing they will do would change their competitors schedule

Huehuecoyotl

Monthly Donor
Nivek's right on the money actually, I was planning on a Fall 2000 release for Sega's next console. I'll withhold any further details about it for the moment, though. :)

Nintendo's reaction to the steeper competition posed by TTL's fifth gen console war is indeed going to be a big deal for the company. They're not asleep at the wheel certainly, but everything about the N64 has set it up to be inherently a little poorly suited for the type of race this is becoming. The 64DD will play a role, but will it help or hinder? And when will the GameCube's ATL counterpart drop? We'll see!

Actually, the Saturn was first released in Japan in November 22, 1994, just two days away from Thanksgiving Day in the United States of America.

I'm interested to see how Nintendo handles an actually successful Saturn (and how Sega follows up the Saturn... does the Dreamcast ever happen? I could see it being a weird 6.5 generation console depending on how Sega handles the Saturn and updating it with accessories). Perhaps the 64DD actually gets support in some way (maybe using CDs or some other kind of optical disk rather than a proprietary floppy), and I could also see the Wide Boy or some kind of backwards compatible cartridge getting some kind of commercial release. I could even see a design for a bottom-attached accessory which boosts the processing power of the N64, basically a giant Expansion Pak that transforms it into a fifth and a half gen system that could last until the early 2000's. In any case, 2002 to 2003, I think, would be the lifespan before the advent of a GameCube equivalent, and even then it could get some support further on if proper care is given.

The idea of a Nintendo Tower of Power is blursed as hell.
Now that idea is cool as FUCK. I mean the idea of Sega expanding the Saturn's life further with add-ons and delaying the Dreamcast - or whatever it's ATL equivalent would be named - to until sometime in 2002, alongside there being potentially not two, but THREE mainline Sonic games released on the thing (respectively the first one being what would've been IOTL X-treme, the second essentially being a Adventure analogue built off of the success of the first, and the third and last one being basically Adventure 2, I would imagine), as well as Nintendo making a attempt to expand the N64's lifespan by releasing a 32X-type peripheral that boosts the system's power to - in terms of technical specs at least - become a (maybe) half-fifth to sixth-gen console, is crazy as hell - and I'm all in for it.

Though one big void that I'm left to ask is - what inspires Nintendo to develop such a add-on in the first place?

Last edited:
Though one big void that I'm left to ask is - what inspires Nintendo to develop such a add-on in the first place?
64DD come from the connectivity features and 3D modeling power of the sgi, that's why dd biggest feature were sharing content and internet,so you could argue would be an evolution of satellaview and prototype of the dlc and online stores/servers, 64DD was to be part of 64 but sgi development issues delayed it

Now that idea is cool as FUCK. I mean the idea of Sega expanding the Saturn's life further with add-ons and delaying the Dreamcast - or whatever it's ATL equivalent would be named - to until sometime in 2002, alongside there being potentially not two, but THREE mainline Sonic games released on the thing (respectively the first one being what would've been IOTL X-treme, the second essentially being a Adventure analogue built off of the success of the first, and the third and last one being basically Adventure 2, I would imagine), as well as Nintendo making a attempt to expand the N64's lifespan by releasing a 32X-type peripheral that boosts the system's power to - in terms of technical specs at least - become a (maybe) half-fifth to sixth-gen console, is crazy as hell - and I'm all in for it.

Well, Nintendo's still using cartridges, which have limited storage space but insanely fast read times compared to CDs. If the 64DD actually works, I wouldn't be surprised to see games that use both the cart and floppy to create larger games and/or better looking games. Imagine Perfect Dark with slightly better graphics running at a consistent 30.

Well, Nintendo's still using cartridges, which have limited storage space but insanely fast read times compared to CDs. If the 64DD actually works, I wouldn't be surprised to see games that use both the cart and floppy to create larger games and/or better looking games. Imagine Perfect Dark with slightly better graphics running at a consistent 30.
I have not considered this possiblity. Hell Sega tried to do this with the 32X and CD, but it was too little too late.

I have not considered this possiblity. Hell Sega tried to do this with the 32X and CD, but it was too little too late.
Actually the 32X and Sega CD were sound ideas, but they never had enough invested into them to really do what they could've (with the 32X, the lack of communication between SoJ and SoA was also a major issue).